What is it?
The Plantar Fascia is a thick broad band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot attaching from your heel to the base of your toes that helps to maintain the arch of your foot. Plantar Fasciitis is simply inflammation of the plantar fascia.
What do I look for?
· Pain on the bottom of the heel or foot with the first few steps in the morning
· Pain when walking or running, often starting with a dull ache and progressing to a sharper constant pain and then may dull down once warmed up
· Pain may radiate from the heel into the toe region.
What causes it?
· Poor foot posture, tight calf muscles
· Lack of correct footwear support
· It is common in people/ athletes who use repetitive, maximal ankle and foot range of movement.
· Sudden weight gain or beginning of a new training regime
When do you see someone for help?
Your LifeCare Practitioner will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis and an appropriate management plan. Often this problem can require a Sports Medicine Doctor, Physiotherapist, and/or Podiatrist to assist.
For more information see your local LifeCare Practitioner.
Click here to find your closest LifeCare clinic.