One of the biggest Health Issues we face today is the amount we sit at desks and use computers. Not only does it affect Adults, but increasingly Kids are having problems as a result of poor sitting habits.
Apart from the decrease in Physical activity associated with sitting, the postures and habits we adopt can be a significant cause of back and neck pain, and headaches.
Our bodies were not designed to sit for long periods of time, and so if we do, we can gradually stress structures in the body that eventually cause pain.
Here are some helpful tips to help you if you sit for long periods of time in front of a computer:
1. Get out of your chair as often as you can. Set a timer, set a reminder in your diary, put the printer/fax/photocopier on another desk so you have to walk to it.
2. Regularly Exercise this will help to compensate for prolonged sitting.
3. Move It Or Lose It: regularly stretch and turn and move you neck, upper back, shoulders, forearms, and lower back.
4. Get a Laptop stand and separate mouse and keyboard: Laptops accentuate poor postures and will bring on problems more rapidly.
5. Sit in the most efficient position As shown in the diagram below.
For more information see your local LifeCare Practitioner.
Click here to find your closest LifeCare clinic.