What is GLA:D?GLA:D is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants learn how to prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
What does the program involve?Our physios undertake extensive specialised training to be able to offer the GLA:D program to clients. The program involves:
- An initial assessment with a GLA:D trained physio to determine eligibility for the program and collect baseline data on your current functional ability
- Two education sessions teaching you about Osteoarthritis, how the GLA:D Australia program works, and what the evidence shows regarding the best treatment of osteoarthritis
- Small group neuromuscular training sessions twice a week for six weeks (total of 12 x 1-hour sessions)
What makes GLA:D different?
- It’s an internationally recognised program that can only be administered by qualified physios
- It has been proven to reduce symptom progression by 32 per cent
- Participants are reporting less pain, improved function, improved quality of life, reduced rates of sick leave, and a reduced need for pain killers. In fact, 1 in 3 people stopped pain killers altogether after participating in the GLA:D program.
- Additionally, GLA:D reduces/delays the need for surgical interventions.