What is Pilates?Pilates is a gentle form of exercise which improves posture, flexibility, and core strength. It was originally developed in the 1920’s by Joseph Pilates and uses mat-based exercises, as well as specialised equipment, to assist with retraining and restoring optimal movement and function.
What can it help with?Pilates continues to be a popular exercise option for all types of people due to its versatility. It can be of great benefit if you are:
- Recovering from injury or surgery: Pilates can help to regain lost strength, balance, and motor control. It’s a great way to transition back into sport or your everyday activities.
- Employed in a typical office desk setting: prolonged sitting often leads to poor posture, which can result in back or neck pain. Pilates can help correct your posture and help stretch out sore or tight areas.
- A sports enthusiast: Pilates can help to fine-tune the skills required for all sports. It can add that extra dimension to your current training program, and increase sports performance. Plus, it’s a great way to prevent injuries.
- Pre or postnatal: A tailored program for pregnant women can help manage pregnancy-related symptoms like back pain. Pilates also plays a big role in post-partum recovery.
- Maintaining strength as you age: Strength and balance often decrease as you age. Pilates can dramatically slow down the effects of aging on your muscles, and in some cases reverse them.