This is a simple and reliable test to compare left and right sides for ankle flexibility, core and lower limb control as well as single leg strength.
It can be used as a return to sport test or as part of a single leg balance/ proprioception program.
How to do the exercise:
- Place hands on hips
- Bring one foot forward as far as possible, tap the ground without losing balance and return to the starting position
- The athlete then reaches 45 degrees in a posterolateral direction and completes the same toe tap then returns to the starting position
- They then reach 45 degrees in a posteromedial direction (bowling pose) and return to the start
- Compare the distances of left and right in each direction
- As an exercise athletes can complete 3-5 reps on one foot, then complete on the other side
Make sure each direction is symmetrical to reduce your risk of future injury and a safe return to sport!