This exercise is important in posterior chain strengthening – recruiting mostly the hamstrings and glutes.
- Hold a bar at hip level with a pronated grip i.e. palms facing down.
- Shoulders should be back, back arched and your knees slightly bent. This will be your starting position.
- Lower the bar by moving your bottom back as far as you can. Keep the bar close to your body, your head and neck in a straight line with back, and your shoulders back (setting your scapular as we have shown you in previous weeks).
- Done correctly you should reach the maximum range of your hamstring flexibility just below the knee.
- At the bottom of your range of motion, return to the starting position by driving the hips forward to stand up tall, making sure you engage your glutes.