Sitting VS Standing?
We don’t often share The HS’s articles but… there has been a growing research base on standing vs sitting at work, school and home.
A lifestyle that is sedentary or that which involves long periods of sitting may increase risk, severity or disability related to:
and may worsen:
- mental health
The recommendation? Activity and movement is the key. Short, light activity breaks during the day at least every 30 minutes or alternating positions will do wonders.
At work you don’t even have to have a fancy sitty/standy desk, simply break up your day with different tasks and duties!
- Get up and speak to your colleagues instead of emailing them
- Use a cordless phone and walk while you talk
- Move your printer and bin away from your desk
- Grab a drink of water every hour at the water cooler
- Go for a walk at lunch
- .. or better yet having walking staff meetings!
Ask your physio about what you can do after hours to increase your activity or return to the exercise world.