Chronic Pain Management at Maroubra
What is chronic pain?
Chronic or persistent pain is either continuous or recurrent pain that lasts beyond the normal time of healing. Pain which lasts longer than three months is usually considered chronic pain.
What are the main causes of chronic pain?
- Tissue damage from an ongoing condition or disease such as arthritis
- Nerve damage
- An altered, sensitised nervous system
What are some of the types of chronic pain?
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Pain following surgery
What does pain care treatment involve?
Chronic pain is often misunderstood, however there has been a lot of research into persistent pain—and advancements in diagnosis, treatment, and management has progressed greatly. There is now a much better understanding of what does and doesn’t work in helping people with chronic pain.
To help you effectively manage your on going pain, treatment will help provide the following:
- An understanding of what happens when you are in persistent pain
- Strategies to prevent pain flare ups
- Methods to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression that is common with persistent pain
- Improved flexibility, strength, and fitness to get you back to doing the activities you enjoy
Is a referral required?
No referral is required to see a physio for chronic pain management.
Can I claim this service as an extra on my health insurance policy?
A session for chronic pain management with your physio may be claimed on private health insurance depending on your level of cover, please check with your private health insurance provider.
Our Chronic Pain Management team
View the team at Maroubra