City to Surf Tips and Tricks
Authored by Isabel Armsworth.
City 2 Surf is coming up this weekend. Here are some tips and tricks for some last-minute preparation before Sunday, and advice for the big day
1. Decrease your training load – This close to race day you want to make sure that you are tapering off your training load. Don’t worry, you won’t lose all your fitness! Research shows that tapering returns muscle glycogen levels to an optimum level and can improve muscle and immune function, and therefore performance.
2. Wear supportive footwear – You want to make sure your shoes have good cushioning and support, as well as being relatively light. However, don’t wear a brand-new pair of shoes on Sunday as you may get blisters or find they get uncomfortable throughout the race.
3. Get a good night’s sleep – Having a restful night is really important when preparing for a race as it will allow you to recover more quickly and perform at your best.
4. Hydrate – Dehydration will decrease energy and efficiency. In lead up to Sunday, you want to make sure you are drinking regularly throughout the day and aim for at least 2L of water a day. Make sure that you are also making use of the hydration stations throughout the race.
5. Eat healthily – In lead up to the weekend make sure you are having well-balanced meals, with adequate levels of protein and carbohydrates. This will help with recovery and energy levels. On Saturday night have a simple, nutritious meal that includes lots of vegetables. On Sunday morning, have a simple meal about 2-3 hours before you start running. It’s also important that you eat after you finish the 14kms on Sunday to replenish your energy stores and help you recover faster.
6. Have fun – Probably the most important tip. Look up, enjoy the views and get swept up in the atmosphere!
Neutral Bay PhysiotherapyMake a booking