Women’s Health and Continence Physiotherapy at Neutral Bay
What is Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapy?
Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapy is a specific type of physiotherapy for the assessment and treatment of bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction, pelvic pain, pre and post urogynaecological surgery and any concerns during or after pregnancy.
What does a Women's Health and Continence Physio do?
Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists can treat problems with incontinence and pelvic floor dysfunction, often helping to avoid surgery. They also treat men’s and children’s pelvic health conditions.
What conditions can Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists help to manage?
Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists help to manage a very broad spectrum of conditions. For this reason, some practitioners focus their expertise in particular areas.
All Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists can help to manage the following conditions:
- Bladder symptoms: urinary leakage/incontinence, urinary urgency, going to the toilet too frequently in the day or night—in both men and women
- Pelvic pain: pain in the pelvic, abdominal, anal, vulva or vaginal regions, which can be related to childbirth, surgery, endometriosis, vulvodynia, or painful sex
- Pregnancy and postnatal: pelvic floor muscle checks, managing aches and pains, breast and nipple problems, exercise classes and childbirth education.
Visit our Pregnancy and Postnatal services for more information.
A selection of Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists have experience managing the following conditions due to the extensive training required.
- Pre and post pelvic surgery: prostate surgery, hysterectomy, prolapse repair, continence, and other bladder and bowel procedures
- Prolapse of pelvic organs: bladder, bowel or uterine, symptoms of internal dragging or heaviness, treatment at Southcare includes the fitting and maintenance of vaginal support pessaries
- Men’s continence: including after prostatectomy
- Bowel symptoms: incontinence of faeces or wind, obstructed defecation and constipation
If you experience any of the above conditions, it is recommended that you speak with your clinic to identify the most experienced practitioner for your needs.
What else can Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapists support?
Alongside the treatment of the conditions listed above, our physiotherapists also provide support with:
- Real time ultrasound scans of the pelvic floor and bladder
- Clinical exercise classes including Pilates exercises. Visit our Clinical Exercise page for more information.
- Individually tailored pelvic floor exercise programs
- Specific exercise modification for weakened abdominals
- General fitness programs
What makes a Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapist different?
Women's Health and Continence Physiotherapist is a title only allowed to be used by Physiotherapists with extensive post-graduate training in the field of Continence and Women's Health.
Is a referral required?
No referral is required to see a Women's Health and Continence physiotherapist.
Can I claim this service as an extra on my health insurance policy?
Physiotherapy sessions may be claimed on private health insurance depending on your level of cover, please check with your private health insurance provider.
The latest from
Neutral Bay Physiotherapy
Neutral Bay PhysiotherapyMake a booking