Exercise Physiology at Northern Sports Physiotherapy Clinic
What is exercise physiology?
Exercise Physiology is the practise of using exercise as medicine to improve health and wellbeing. It offers a supportive environment with one-on-one supervision, so you can achieve your health goals faster and decrease your risk of injury.
What conditions can exercise physiology be beneficial for?
- When you’re returning to exercise or recovering from an injury and would prefer more supervision to help with correct exercise technique
- Cardiovascular diseases, including coronary artery disease, hypertension or chronic heart failure
- Respiratory diseases, such as asthma, COPD or cystic fibrosis
- Neurological diseases, including stroke, cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury, spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s
- Metabolic diseases such as diabetes, dyslipidaemia or obesity
- Musculoskeletal injuries and illnesses including arthritis, osteoporosis or traumatic injuries
- Other illnesses including cancer, depression and more
What does an Accredited Exercise Physiologist do?
Accredited Exercise Physiologists (AEPs) are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and competencies to design, deliver and evaluate safe and effective exercise programs for people who have acute, sub-acute or chronic medical conditions, injuries, and disabilities.
These interventions are evidence-based through scientific research and testing and include health and physical activity education, support, and lifestyle modification with a strong focus on achieving behavioural change. Current evidence supports physical activity and exercise as an integral treatment for chronic disease.
What makes AEPs different?
AEPs are university qualified allied health professionals that hold the highest level of training for prescribing exercise to individuals.
What else do you need to know about exercise physiology?
While particularly beneficial for those with chronic conditions and injury, Exercise Physiology also benefits patients who want to improve their health and fitness or are looking to increase their competitive edge.
Is a referral required?
No referral is required for an exercise physiology session.
Can I claim this service as an extra on my health insurance policy?
An exercise physiology session may be claimed on private health insurance depending on your level of cover, please check with your private health insurance provider.
Our Exercise Physiology team
View the team at Northern Sports Physiotherapy Clinic
The latest from
Northern Sports Physiotherapy Clinic
Northern Sports Physiotherapy ClinicMake a booking