Dr. Stuart Down
Specialist Sport & Exercise Medicine Physician
MBBS (Hons), FACSEP
Dr Stuart Down completed his medical training with honours at Monash University in 1998, obtained a Diploma of Sports Medicine at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in 2005, and received his Fellowship of the Australasian College of Sport & Exercise Physicians in 2008, along with the College Medal for highest ranked graduate. Stuart is a member of Sports Medicine Australia.
Having now worked in Sport & Exercise Medicine for 15 years, Stuart assists patients of all ages and levels of sporting prowess, whilst also happily consulting patients who have injuries unrelated to sport or recreation.
He has particular expertise in the treatment of acute injuries to the knee, ankle, shoulder and wrist. Stuart has an interest in hip pathology – especially femoro-acetabular impingement (FAI) and hip dysplasia, as well as the management of stress fractures (especially lumbar region in cricketers).
Stuart has extensive experience with the assessment and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions in the adolescent and enjoys the challenge of balancing a safe return to sport with their unrivaled enthusiasm to return to their chosen sports.
A cricket tragic, Stuart has worked with Cricket Victoria since 2006, Melbourne Renegades since the commencement of BBL and also covered the Australian Men’s team in 2011 at the Cricket World Cup and Test Tour of Sri Lanka.
Stuart has also worked as an Assistant Orthopaedic Surgeon for 14 years and works closely with several of Melbourne’s most highly sought-after Sports Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Sporting Teams / Associations
- Cricket Victoria – Team doctor (2006 – present)
- Melbourne Renegades BBL – Men/Women (2011 – present)
- Australia Cricket World Cup (India and Sri Lanka) – Team Doctor (2011)
- Australia Test Tour of Sri Lanka – Team Doctor (2011)
- Champions Trophy Hockey – Tournament Doctor (2005, 2012)
- Commonwealth Taekwondo Champs– Australian Team Doctor – Chennai India (2011)
- Junior World Cup Hockey – Singapore (2009)
- UCI Track Cycling – Event Doctor (2008-09)
- British Women Netball – Tour Doctor Melbourne (2007)
- FINA World Champs – Waterpolo / Diving doctor (2007)
- Werribee VFL – Team Doctor (2007)
- AIS Hockey – Tours of Europe / Asia (2006-07)
- Commonwealth Games Weightlifting – Medical Officer (2006)
- Northern Knights TAC Football – Team Doctor (2006)
- AIS Mens Waterpolo – Team Doctor (2005)
- Deaflympics – Sports Medicine Coverage (2005)
- Canberra Half Ironman Triathlon – Medical Team (2005)
- Coburg Tigers VFL – Team Doctor (2004)
Outside of work, Stuart loves good food and wine and a chance to spend time with his two young children and family. Having fallen away from golf and tennis over the years, Stuart now hunts trophy Barramundi in the Northern Territory each year on fishing trips.
Services offered by Dr. Stuart Down
Book an appointment at Prahran Sports MedicineMake a booking
The latest from
Prahran Sports Medicine
Prahran Sports MedicineMake a booking