Pelvic floor issues such as leakage of urine, known as incontinence, and pelvic organ prolapse, are very common problems affecting the female population, especially those who have had children. Most people are unaware that specialist Physiotherapists can treat these problems, often helping to avoid surgery.
Pregnancy is a time of extreme change and stress in a woman’s body. As the baby grows, the extra weight combined with pregnancy hormones and postural changes, places additional strain on the joints and muscles. As every woman and every pregnancy is different, we offer individual consultations for many of the common complaints of pregnancy, and also in the postnatal period.
At many LifeCare practices, we have specially trained physiotherapists who can help with Women’s Health, Continence and Pregnancy-related issues such as:
- Bladder or bowel incontinence,
- Having to go to the toilet very frequently or very urgently,
- Pelvic organ prolapse,
- Pelvic pain and pain with intercourse,
- Optimizing pelvic floor muscle function before and/or after surgery eg. hysterectomy, prostatectomy,
- Pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain or low back pain,
- Rectus abdominis diastasis (abdominal muscle separation).
We all want to keep fit and healthy, however if you have pelvic floor muscle dysfunction or are at risk of it, such as those women who are in the postnatal period or have gone through menopause, then not all exercise that is offered at the gym or with a PT is suitable for you. LifeCare offers many safe fitness alternatives such as: