Pelvic floor issues such as leaking urine and pelvic organ prolapse are very common problems affecting the female population, especially those who have had children. Most people are unaware that specialist Physiotherapists can treat these problems, often helping to avoid surgery.
Pregnancy is a time of extreme change and stress in a woman’s body. As the baby grows, the extra weight combined with pregnancy hormones and postural changes, places additional strain on the joints and muscles. As every woman and every pregnancy is different, we offer individual consultations for many of the common complaints of pregnancy, and also in the recovery period after giving birth.
At many Lifecare practices, we have specially trained physiotherapists who can help with Women’s Health, Continence and Pregnancy-related issues such as:
- Bladder or bowel incontinence
- Having to go to the toilet very frequently or very urgently
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain and pain with intercourse
- Optimizing the pelvic floor before and/or after surgery eg. Hysterectomy, prostatectomy
- Pregnancy-related pelvic girdle pain or low back pain
- Postnatal rectus abdominus diastasis (abdominal muscle separation)
We all want to keep fit and healthy, however if you have pelvic floor dysfunction or are at risk of it (having recently had a baby, or having gone through menopause for example), then not all exercise that is offered at the gym or with a PT is suitable for you. Lifecare offers many safe fitness alternatives such as:
- Pregnancy education and Pilates courses
- Pregnancy pool exercise classes
- Mother and baby Pilates classes, including baby massage
- Mother and baby pool exercise classes
- Clinical Pilates
- Aquafit classes for a low impact cardio workout
- Individual exercise prescription or one on one Pilates
For more information or to book an appointment with a Women’s Health and Continence Physiotherapist, call Southcare Physiotherapy on 9332 2132. They can assist you in finding the most appropriate practitioner or class at a Lifecare practice near you.