Sports Medicine at Cockburn
What is Sports Medicine?
Sports Medicine can be one of the most effective treatments of any muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendon related injuries.
What can Sports Doctors help with?
- Diagnosis and non-surgical management of exercise and physical activity related musculoskeletal injuries and trauma
- Biomechanical analysis of sporting techniques
- Treating head injuries and concussion associated with sport and optimising a safe return to play
- Diagnosis, management, and exercise prescription for patients with medical conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes and pre-diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis or cardiac conditions
- Developing personalised programs for wheelchair and physically-challenged people who exercise, including the Elite Athlete with a Disability (EAD)
What do Sports Doctors do?
Sports Doctors work within a multidisciplinary care framework for the optimal management and care of recreational exercisers of all levels—not just elite athletes. They work closely with referring GPs on the diagnosis and treatment of patients and are in regular contact with a wide range of specialists including Orthopaedic Surgeons and Rheumatologists as well as allied health professionals such as Physios, Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Sports Trainers and Sports Psychologists.
What makes Sports Doctors different?
Sports Doctors are doctors who undertake an extensive postgraduate training program in dealing with sports injuries and the practice of medicine as it applies to all aspects of physical activity. A Sports Doctor can also take on the role of team doctor, skilled in both on and off-field care of athletes. Their involvement in team care can also include travel medicine, carrying out pre-trip screening and preparation to accompany teams of athletes to countries and major sporting events all over the world.
Is a referral required?
No referral is required to see a Sports Doctor or a Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician, however with a GP referral you will get a greater Medicare rebate.
The latest from
Lifecare CockburnMake a booking