We always forget the paddler...
Authored by Anthony McEvoy.
We are just a couple of weeks away from one of the worlds most highly regarded and iconic open water swims, The Rottnest Channel Swim, and it’s come to my attention that we always forget the paddler. Follow the blogs that will come up over the next couple of weeks over a number of websites, including ones we have done before (Feb 2016 & Feb 2015) and the focus is always on how amazing the swimmers are, and what an amazing performance they are putting in, but nobody remembers the paddler!
For the thousands of swimmers who are entered into this event, there are scores of brave men and women who choose to paddle alongside them without the glory of recognition or accolade and I for one am tired of it! So in a show of solidarity to these courageous souls I would like to offer the following tips:
- Ensure you can stay on the board
- Don’t let your feet get burnt
- Make like Silverchair and paddle in Straight Lines
- Use Instructive Voice – be clear and concise for the precious little petals who are swimming
- Enjoy a couple of well earned beverages
- Remember to steal a swimmers medal and tell everyone about your arduous crossing
- Don’t forget to write a blog or post a picture so the world can give you the recognition you deserve (*i’ll be doing both this year)
Lifecare CottesloeMake a booking