The Hip & Groin Clinic at Malvern
A team of physiotherapists that are leaders in hip and groin injury diagnosis and rehabilitation.
What is The Hip & Groin Clinic?
Physiotherapists Andrew Wallis, Alesha Coonan and Michael O’Brien form The Hip & Groin Clinic and are particularly skilled at managing complex hip and groin injuries. The team work closely with many of Melbourne’s leading surgeons and sports physicians.
When should I attend the Hip and Groin Clinic?
Often patients will have a referral from a surgeon or sports physician, however the Hip and Groin Clinic team are a great first point of call if you suffer from:
- Longstanding hip or groin pain
- A recurrent injury that is making it difficult to return to sport or your chosen activity
- Ongoing symptoms or deficits following surgery
Conditions often managed by the team include:
- Athletic Groin Pain (Previously known as Osteitis Pubis)
- Femoroacetabular Impingement Syndrome (FAIS) aka Hip Impingement
- Hip Dysplasia
- Osteoarthritis of the hip
- Rehabilitation following surgery, for example, Hip arthroscopy, Periacetabular Osteotomy (PAO), Hip Joint Replacement, Abductor repair, Adductor release
What will an initial assessment involve?
During your initial appointment, our goal is to identify the underlying cause of your complaint and provide you with an outline of your treatment options.
At the start of the session, the history of your complaint will be discussed. Following this, a thorough clinical examination will be performed. Ultimately, we aim to identify the cause of your symptoms and provide you with specific treatment options and a management plan that best supports your day-to-day needs and physical goals.
What can I expect after my initial assessment?
Depending on your diagnosis, your treatment and management may include any of the following:
- Education on lifestyle modifications
- Movement pattern retraining to address any biomechanical issues
- Strength-based programs
- Manual therapy e.g Soft-tissue massage, joint mobilisation, neural mobilisation
- Referral for X-Ray, Ultrasound or MRI scan if required
- Discussions with a GP or Sports Physician
- Facilitating referral to Sports Physician or Orthopaedic Surgeon if appropriate
How often will I need to visit?
This will vary depending on the nature of your injury and desired goals. We focus on an exercise-based program and hence visits are less frequent than you may expect. Visits are ideally structured around monitoring progress, advancing your exercise regime and building towards a return to sport/function.
If you are an inter-state or rural patient, we may see you for an initial assessment only and then liaise with your local treating practitioner during your follow up period.
How do I make a booking with the Hip & Groin team?
To make a booking with The Hip & Groin team, please call reception to make an appointment on 03 9509 8844.
Is a referral required?
No referral is required for an appointment with The Hip & Groin Clinic.
Can I claim this service as an extra on my health insurance policy?
A session may be claimed on private health insurance depending on your level of cover, please check with your private health insurance provider.
Our The Hip & Groin Clinic team
View the team at Malvern