Hydrotherapy at Prendiville
What is hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy is physiotherapy in warm water. The buoyancy and warmth of the water allows for freer movement than on land, so you can exercise with ease for health, rehabilitation, and wellbeing without placing additional pressure on your joints.
What conditions is hydrotherapy beneficial for?
- Arthritis sufferers can benefit from the increased freedom of movement, as well as the heat and support provided by warm water. Arthritic joints need movement, and hydrotherapy provides movement without pain to improve the short-term and long-term effects of arthritic joints.
- Pregnancy can cause back pain due to changes in weight and posture. Hydrotherapy helps to strengthen the core, lower back, and abdominal muscles to minimise the likelihood of pain during and after pregnancy.
- For chronic or persistent pain, hydrotherapy helps to strengthen the muscles surrounding the painful or injured part of the body, leading to a quicker recovery or reduced risk of recurrence.
- Those with injuries to muscles, ligaments or bones.
- Those returning to exercise or work after injury.
How does hydrotherapy work?
Due to water buoyancy, walking and movement is easier in water than it is on land. Hydrotherapy also provides an even, compressive force around the joint to minimise swelling and improve mobility. This can lead to a much faster recovery, allowing you to return to your everyday activities sooner.
What makes hydrotherapy different?
There is now significant evidence that exercise in warm water can be very beneficial for healing ailments of the musculoskeletal system. Many conditions, such as sprains and strains, can greatly benefit from hydrotherapy.
Is a referral required?
No referral is required to see a physio for hydrotherapy services.
However, if you are referred on a Chronic Disease Management Program (previously known as Enhanced Primary Care) this referral will need to be brought to your initial appointment.
Can I claim this service as an extra on my health insurance policy?
Sessions may be claimed on private health insurance depending on your level of cover, please check with your private health insurance provider.
Our Hydrotherapy team
View the team at Prendiville
The latest from
Lifecare PrendivilleMake a booking