What is it?
· The Patella tendon is the tendon that joins the knee cap to the shin bone
· With overuse of the quadriceps muscles and this tendon the tendon can become inflamed and painful.
What do I look for?
· Dull pain at the base of the knee cap or the prominence on shin bone (tibial tubercle), where the tendon attach.
· Tightness and/or tenderness in the quadriceps muscle
· Pain with running, squatting, jumping, kneeling and/or kicking
· Often starts gradually over a period of a few weeks and increases over time.
· Soreness lasting after activity and is eased with rest.
· What causes it?
· Tightness in the quadriceps muscles
· Overuse of the quadriceps muscles
When do you see someone for help?
Your LifeCare Practitioner will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis and an appropriate management plan. Often this problem can require a Sports Medicine Doctor, Physiotherapist, and/or Podiatrist to assist.
For more information see your local LifeCare Practitioner.
Click here to find your closest LifeCare clinic.