What is it?
This condition refers to degeneration of the knee joint surfaces and often a loss of space between the thigh and shin bones.
What do I look for?
- Pain and tenderness to touch in the knee region
- Swelling worsening with activity or at the end of the day
- Reduction in the range of movement in the knee
- Weakness and/or imbalances in the knee muscles
- Pain with walking, squatting, kneeling and/or stairs
- History of a previous knee injury/pathology
What causes it?
- General wear and tear to the joint with use over the years
- Previous injury to the knee
When do you see someone for help?
Your Lifecare practitioner will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis and an appropriate management plan. Often this problem can require a sports medicine doctor, physiotherapist, and/or podiatrist to assist.
For more information see your local Lifecare practitioner. Click here to find your closest Lifecare clinic.