What is Women’s Health Physiotherapy?Women’s Health Physiotherapy is a specialised type of physiotherapy that entails the assessment and treatment of bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction, pelvic pain, concerns leading up to or following urogynaecological surgery and/or pregnancy.
How is it different to what is listed?Physiotherapy in its entirety covers a broad area of pathologies related to the body including musculoskeletal, neurological, and cardiorespiratory systems. Some Physiotherapists choose to specialise in one area, or on certain conditions. A Women’s Health Physiotherapist is a specialised area of Physiotherapy that works specifically for treatment of issues related to incontinence and pelvic floor dysfunction, oftentimes helping to avoid unwanted or unnecessary surgeries with the use of more conservative management options including pessaries, muscle strengthening programs and education. It involves assessment and treatment of bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction, pelvic pain, pre and post urogynaecological surgery and any concerns during or after pregnancy.
What conditions Women’s Health Physiotherapy can help to manage?
- Bladder: Urinary incontinence including stress, urgency and mixed types, and overactive bladder (OAB)
- Bowel: Faecal incontinence of faeces or wind, obstructed defecation and constipation
- Prolapse of pelvic organs: bladder, bowel or uterine, symptoms of internal dragging or heaviness
- Pelvic pain: Pain in the pelvis, abdominal, anal, vulva or vaginal regions. These can be related to childbirth, surgery, endometriosis, vulvodynia, painful sex, or hypertonicity (typically athletes).
- Pregnancy: Abdominal muscle separation (rectus diastasis), pelvic pain (sacro-iliac and pubic symphysis joints), coccyx pain, wrist pain (DeQuervein’s), lower back pain, pelvic floor dysfunction, and safe return to exercise.
- Pre and post pelvic surgery: prostate surgery, hysterectomy, prolapse repair, and other bladder and bowel procedures
- Men’s continence: including after prostatectomy (please note this service is currently not offered)