WHAT IS IT?
Around your hip joint there are many muscles that help to provide the joint with stability.
Imbalances between the gluteal muscles and another muscle called tensor fascia lata commonly leads to the inflammation of fluid filled sacs (bursa). When the bursa becomes inflamed it can be extremely painful.
WHAT DO I LOOK FOR?
· Pain in the outside of the hip and/or buttock region.
· Pain when walking, especially up and down stairs.
· Inability to lie on your affected side.
WHAT CAUSES IT?
· Muscle imbalances around the pelvic/hip region.
· Poor control of the pelvic stabilisers.
· After an injury such as a fall or a car accident
WHEN DO I SEE SOMEONE FOR HELP?
Your LifeCare Practitioner will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis and an appropriate management plan.
Often this problem can require a Sports Medicine Doctor, Physiotherapist, and/or Podiatrist to assist.
FOR MORE INFORMATION see your local LifeCare Practitioner.
Click here to find your closest LifeCare clinic.